Saturday, March 12, 2011

MI Mini-break Chronicled

Now that I've had the rest of this week to get back into AL life (only to start Spring Break, baha), I'll describe my time in the snowy North.  People seem to respond better to the goings-on of my life than my... inner monologue, I guess.  Ü

Wednesday night (3/2) after church and watching a dress rehearsal of Act I of Children of Eden, I went home, finished packing, and headed for my pal Lindsey's in B'ham around 11:00.  I got there and slept for about five hours before she was a doll and dropped me off at the airport at 5:45.  I checked my bag and TSA checked me for tick-tick-booms and after about fifteen minutes waiting at my gate, I boarded the first plane to Atlanta.  I had a relatively short layover there (but with enough time to eat some breakfast) and then took off for Grand Rapids.  I landed around 11:30, my aunt picked me up, and we went for the first of many scrumptious meals on this trip.  First stop, Schnitz Deli for HUGE sandwiches for lunch with my uncle.  The rest of the day was pretty laid back--running a few errands, hanging around the house, me getting settled, eating a homemade dinner.  After a little while, all of us met up with some long-time friends at a microbrewery, run by another long-time friend who used to tease me mercilessly as a small child, called Schmoz.   We sat around drinking rootbeer and beer, respectively, chit-chatting while my younger cousin, uncle, and I played Spoons--er, Pretzels. 

Pretty much a great day.

Friday, I woke up to no alarm, had a little breakfast, and my aunt and I went to exercise at their community center of choice.  They'd received a couple of free day passes when the family joined and let me use one so I didn't have to pay $7 to use the elliptical for 20 minutes.  Then we went home and got ready to do some more extensive visiting with old friends.  After getting my cousins to their Hub classes, we drove out to Saranac, MI to meet these old friends for lunch at Germaine's. 

Let me clue you in on a few things about Saranac. 

Saranac is where my grandparents raised my mom, aunt, and uncle. 
It's where I spent the first two years of my life (and subsequent Halloweens until we moved). 
It's a village. 
Yep, you read that right.  A village.  It used to have one caution light, but now it's just two 4-way STOP signs.  It's smaller than Montevallo.  No joke, if you blink, you'll miss it.  I love visiting there, but I thank God that my family moved to GR before I had to go to school. 

Lunch was great.  I got my usual (grilled cheese and fries), and I got to visit with some lovely ladies who have known me and mine longer than I have.  After that, my aunt dropped me off at the Starbucks that is now closest to where my old house is to meet up with my best friend from middle school and a little bit of high school.  We had a nice time getting caught up on life, and then she dropped me off back at my aunt & uncle's.  Friday night was another fairly relaxed evening, in preparation for our jaunt to Chicago the next day. 

Since this is already incredibly wordy/lengthy/take your pick, I'll leave off there and begin with Saturday's adventures tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment