Saturday, April 10, 2010

Taking a break

Temporarily cluttered house
Small Town, Alabama

I am taking a break from trying to incorporate Miss Evangeline Travers' musings into those of my own, because, quite frankly, they all tend to deal with men and marriage and today is not a day to be filled with such silliness. Rather, it is filled with other silliness.

I went to CHOM today to work a birthday party that had apparently been canceled, which was actually just fine with me. To justify the drive into town and to clear my head, I went to River Road Park, gathered my planner, fresh journal, and iPod, and walked to my favorite bench.

Well, where my favorite bench used to be. At first, I might have been perturbed, but I knew it was only a matter of time. My favorite bench happened to sit on a cement slab on an overhang at the edge of the Black Warrior River. The drop-off has been eroding away for years, and the good people of PARA or UA (or whoever is in charge of the park now) finally decided having a bench here was a safety hazard. Now, all that's left is the cement slab jutting out over the Black Warrior. So, after convincing myself I wasn't going to fall to my death only to spend my last moments alive as a biohazard, I settled down on said cement slab and had my time.

I spent my time regaining my bearings on the weeks to come, soaking in the cool, fresh air and sunshine on my skin, and journaled for as long as I could stand the pollen. When I could no longer smell the water (which was rejuvenating, even for the Black Warrior), I packed up and walked back to the car. Even though I couldn't smell the water anymore, since I left the park, it's felt like I've been trying to breathe underwater.

Came home and leisurely cleaned out my car, and now am itching in general and itching to clean and rearrange my room.

Alas, when I took a break to blog (ha), P.S. I Love You came on, chasing the heels of A Walk to Remember.

O, Evangeline, I can't escape it!

No comments:

Post a Comment