Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Oh, my stars

Sunshine. 61ºF. Windows down. 70 mph. LOTR: The Musical blaring.

I've just had a glimpse of heaven.

(The only thing that was missing was you.)

I contemplate God's love for me as evidenced by the "little" things in my life and marvel at His attention to detail. I think back through the history of our redemption, and can't help but be in awe at how His hand is always in everything and that He asks us, expects of us, to be co-creators with Him.

This is something Madeleine L'Engle writes (and I assume speaks) about authoritatively and beautifully. I've begun reading more of her grown-up novels, and just started re-reading Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art (in addition to Peter & the Starcatchers. Peter Pan Syndrome, argh, avast, an' all that).

Most often I have a difficult time identifying myself as a creator, or an artist. I participate in creation, in art, but I don't know that I'm actually a creator or artist. I think I can more easily see myself as a re-creator (re-artist? Hmmm...) being a singer/actor, but I don't much do any actual, original creating.

But I don't think I mind. I think that might just be who I'm intended to be. While I don't create the art, I do love it. I love the story. And even though I didn't think of it first, I love to tell it.

We briefly discussed the willing suspension of disbelief in Bible study on Sunday, and our leader said something that I thought was poignant and lovely, and it will stick with me till the day I die.

"Therefore, I live in the story."

Prior to this, she'd mentioned a study some theologians did on the life of Jesus that examined what happened if you took out all of His miracles, all of the evidence that pointed to the Divine.
What would you have left?

We all agreed that we would still have these life-changing teachings on how we are to live on this planet and the example of a remarkable human being that is still worth attempting to emulate.

This is not to say that I don't believe the miracles or that Jesus was/is in fact human AND divine.

I do.

But if one struggles with some of this ("this" being growing up, Christianity, life, etc. Take your pick...), it doesn't change the fact that Jesus did something that for some reason the world just can't shake.

As one who did, does, and will struggle with some of this, it doesn't change the fact that I trust that my fate is in His more than capable hands.

And if my fate is that of a participant in art, I accept it graciously. I will sit in the audience; I will sing someone else's lyrics and speak someone else's words; whatever the task, I will live in the story.

[insert "Ode" by William O'Shaughnessy]

I know this is all probably very muddled and doesn't make sense to you readers, but I do believe this is very much the beginning of a "something" for me, and hey, it's my blog.

Something for me is really all that matters.



"Therefore, I live in the story."

Perhaps it's just me, but don't you find that uplifting?

No comments:

Post a Comment