Sunday, January 9, 2011

Apparently, I'm a ho-bag...

...but I'm pretty sure it's a term of endearment. ;-)

I earned the identifier from one MolPage for my wanting to leave Tuscaloosa. That was before she knew I was packing her bags and kidnapping her if I do get to leave. There are a few others I'm going to have to pack in my suitcase. Get ready.

After seeing (again and again and again) how truly and terribly small this community (the theatre community, in particular) is, I have decided (again and again and again) that--genuinely, for my sanity's sake--I must not stay here.

Which is serving as a rather effective motivator in beginning to pick monologues and audition repertoire.

For the contemporary dramatic monologue, I have certain piano-playing, knockout, drop-dead gorgeous, raven haired lady to thank.

For the classical comedic monologue, I have William Shakespeare to thank. 4 Julias, 3 Katherinas, 1 Beatrice, and 1 Viola (just for you, MP) to sift through before making a final decision.

If any of you have thoughts on the aforementioned Shakespearean characters, I welcome them.

Now, for the reeeeeally hard part.

Picking songs...

The Criteria

Classical Selections

1. One operatic aria 
(✓ "Ah tardai troppo... O luce di quest' anima")
2. One art song 



Music Theater Selections – three contrasting pieces

3. One up tempo

4. One ballad

5. One classic music theater piece prior to 1970 

6. Music theater selection of the candidate’s choice


More to come on that. And Christmas pictures. And whatever else I've promised on this thing and not had the follow through to post. I'm sure there's a haiku involved... Maybe two... [raises eyebrow and nods]

P.S. Happy 100th blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment