Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Perfect Words

It's been two days since he posted what, let's face it, I think is the most perfect late-night, best friend internet video in the history of the world wide web, and I still don't know the right way to respond.

I've been trying to come up with a list of words that would do justice to what I think of my best friend and what he means to me, and I feel like a traitor to my love of the English language because I can't find a one that truly fits. I haven't resorted to perusing a thesaurus or anything yet, but maybe after I do I can get back to you on that.

Heck, I may have to explore other languages.

I've thought about sending a song back. I'm not brave enough to post it on my profile (if that's not irony for you), but that doesn't really matter because I don't really know which song would be best to sing. I'd have to decide (GASP!) on a song. I'd have to get over the fact that it'd have to be a cappella AND a video. Not only that, but it also sorta feels like a cop out-- like I'm not creative enough to think of something to send to him that means as much to me as (get ready for the cliché!) just the thought behind that video does, let alone the fact that he actually followed through and sang for me. I have a few friends who will actually "sing me a song at the beep" when prompted to leave me a voicemail message. Know that I save those, few friends.
But that's in the privacy of my voicemail inbox. This was on facebook, and if you watched the Golden Globes tonight, you know what a big deal that is. (Chutzpah. Stones. Cojones. Balls. Kudos, man. You got 'em.)

So, a song is still maybe an option because clearly the only thing really holding me back on that one is my own insecurity. After listening to my "I Miss Richard" playlist (You thought I was kidding about that, right? Nope. It exists. Has since early August 2010.) through at least twice today, I think I may have the right song to sing. Not gonna publicize it on here, though. I still have at least a day of thinking over it before I'm ready for that. And then I may decide to try to find a way to accompany myself because the thought of recording myself singing a cappella petrifies me. (Anybody started counted my neuroses yet?)

But there's also a plethora of options on the visual arts route. Too many. The possibilities are endless. And so's my insecurity.

"What's the big deal?" you ask? "Sure, it was a nice thought in that weird Richard-Kate kinda way that only they understand, but really...?" Really. Why am I agonizing over this?

Because he's worth it, and he means that much to me.



You're worth it, and you mean that much to me.



So, I'm going to keep searching for the perfect words, and when I find them, I'm going to share them-- via my blog/letters/fb posts, through song, and maybe even in an array of shapes and colors.


Perhaps I've been too engrossed in films today, so my flair for the dramatic is, well, flaring up.

Perhaps I've been spending too much time with theatre kids (see above for similar results).

Perhaps I'm just ridiculous.

Perhaps I just miss him.

Whatever the reason, he deserves the right response, and while I would like for the rest of you to know that, it's most important that he does.

1 comment:

  1. I miss you Kate. For as much time as we have spent together in the last year, we haven't spent much time together...just talking and sharing. We've been saying other people's words at and to each other, but not our own. I long to really know you...before you slip through my fingers and move on to new places and faces.

    When I finish with this "Miracle" let's have coffee or tea and linger over some lovely words all our own! I love your face. Just seeing it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete