Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"I was addicted to saying things and having them matter to someone."

I still can't find my copy of Waitress. It breaks my heart a little.



I spent yesterday evening with my fellow Narrator, Karen, and it was one of the best things I have done in a while. We had one of those girly nights where all we did was talk-- for about 5 hours.

Prior to meeting up with Karen, I had 3 fairly lengthy conversations with colleagues/friends/mentors/employers about the Presbyterian job. I have not called back yet to let them know what my decision is, so I am not going to go into a whole lot of detail on here (yet), but they were all incredibly beneficial for me not only in this particular instance, but for me in general.

Once I got to Karen's temporary place of residence, she had a plate ready for me to fill with the amazing chicken-broccoli-cheese-pasta-bake deliciousness she'd made and a yellow, plastic goblet awaiting me to pour juice into it.

It was manna from heaven. Ü

After watching another one of our friends eating ice cream straight from the freezer, we decided to go get some of our own, and since I was driving, I took us to Cold Stone.

Guys, they brought back the peanut butter ice cream.

If you don't understand anything about me, understand this: I love peanut butter.
I also love ice cream. Putting the two together is pretty genius.
And Cold Stone's peanut butter ice cream is sheer genius.

We both got our Like Its of peanut butter with Reese's mixed in, sat down, and really, really started talking. The car ride over had served as the appetizer, I suppose, and this was when we began the five course meal. A meal that was apparently more appetizing than our ice cream, because neither of us finished it. I WAS TALKING SO MUCH, I COULDN'T FINISH MY PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM. O_O

We babbled about essentially everything that we'd felt we couldn't say to anybody else (because, well, we can't haha!), and I felt like I was 16 again, and we genuinely listened to each other.

It was so therapeutic.

I tend to surround myself with people who like to talk because, in general, I like to listen. We complement each other and it works. But sometimes, I need a turn to talk as well, and I generally have a different set of friends who know how to listen to me.

Because I don't typically talk too, too much, I am not very... eloquent when I speak. My brain moves faster than my mouth and I fumble over my words or I have to think a long time before I can even attempt to form a coherent sentence and it's. just. bad.

I talked to Karen about things I'd never mentioned to anybody else before, and it was absolutely liberating. I told her today (and I meant it) that I felt 10 lbs. lighter after having talked with her. She is a spectacular individual-- a true woman of God whose brilliant light and love for others is a force to be reckoned with-- so watch out, Mobile. She's gonna change your community for the better.

Did I mention she leaves to go to Mobile in 8 days?

Did I also mention that my very best friend leaves to go to New Orleans in 5?

I'm gonna be a MESS next week.

I'm just thankful I have friends who'll still be here and will help keep me together. Especially when life rears its ugly head like it tried to do tonight.

Mom had another one of her hypoglycemic episodes, so she spent a better part of the evening in the Emergency Dept. I was spending time with some of my favorites (Molly, Richard, and Molly's roommate) discussing the inner sanctum of sororities, lol, when one of the nurses called to let me know she was there and would need a ride. I didn't know what had happened yet, but knew I needed to get over there to find out. Without skipping a beat not only did they offer to come with me, but also to drive me-- partially because they are wonderful, and partially because they know me well enough to know that my car is a mess and would not fit all of us in its current condition.

When we got there, they still had to do a CT scan on her, so it'd be a while before she was ready to go. Her personal effects were still on the psych unit (where she works, if you are new to my life and musings, even though she fits right in), so I grabbed her keys, grabbed my friends, and they saw a glimpse of the inner workings of The Harbor. Well, at least how to get there through the interior of the hospital. Then I grabbed her things (less her glasses and two bottles of Diet Coke I neglected to recover for her), we walked back to the E.D., I dropped off her phone so she could contact me, then walked back through The Harbor to get to her car so I could move it to the parking on the other side of the hospital closest to the E.D.

Lots of grabbing and lots of walking.
Also lots of driving on my bestie's part.

After all that was situated, we drove back to Molly's apartment for a bit before Mom called again to say she was ready for me. [Cue "On The Road Again."]

It was still an enjoyable evening because my friends are pure amazing, and Richard had made a pretty awesome playlist for us to listen to on our second outing.



I share all of this not because I think you are really interested in the tiny details of my life, but because my friends deserve credit where credit is due; and because they help me make it through the monotonous, tiny details of my life, I love them all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment