Sunday, August 1, 2010

What's in a name...

[The "L" key on my keyboard has been wonky for a while now, but the "V" key has just begun to give me fits. If "O" and "E" leave me next, I know I'm doomed. lol]


Within the sermon this morning, our pastor mentioned name meanings, and I started thinking about my favorite names. Some of them are my favorite because of what they mean, but some I just think are pretty, and I didn't know what they meant, so here I went, here I am, and here I go.


Aidan-"fire"
Rhys- "enthusiasm"

Nicholas- "victory of the people"
Ryan- "little king"

Evan- "YAHWEH is gracious"
Eric- "ever ruler"


Charlotte- "warrior"
Faye- "fairy"
Harriet- "home ruler" (SO true...)
Eowyn- "horse joy"
Meredith- "great lord" or "sea lord"
Bronwen/Bronwyn/Gwen/Gwendolen/Gwendolyn/Mairwen- "white, fair, blessed"
Maren- "of the sea"
Miriam- "wished for child;" "beloved"
Ingrid- "Ing is beautiful" (Ing from Norse mythology)
Susanna- "lily"
Isabelle- "consecrated to God;" "my God is abundance"
Margaret- "pearl"
Briseis- Greek mythology
Iris- "rainbow"
Evelyn/Evelina- "desired"

Evangeline/Evangelina- "good news"
Rose- (I thought this was interesting.)
ROSE

Gender: Feminine

Usage: English, French

Pronounced: ROZ [key]

Originally a Norman form of a Germanic name, which was composed of the elements hrod "fame" and heid "kind, sort, type". It was introduced to England by the Normans in the forms Roese or Rohese. From an early date it was associated with the word for the fragrant flower rose (derived from Latin rosa). When the name was revived in the 19th century, it was probably with the flower in mind.
~http://www.behindthename.com



Tonight was the last performance of the day camp musical. Now we just have to clean up. It's the last week of day camp for this summer (and it's time- for kids of all ages to go back to school; or in my case, to not). After spending way too much time at the church over the past week, God moved and did some amazing things this weekend. The Holy Spirit definitely quickened my heart, opened and softened the hearts of us counselors collectively, and I'm sure planted many seeds in the hearts of all of those involved. <3

I am looking forward to having my jobs nailed down within the next couple of weeks. I interview with First Presbyterian this Thursday to see about me being the college intern there for this school year. I'm praying for God to make His will for this job clear to me and those at the church. I am trying to not overbook myself, as I tend to do, and I really, REALLY want to be able to audition for shows (well, just one show in particular, but still...), and to have time to work on grad school applications. I am going to have to say "No" to a couple of job suggestions, I believe, but it'll be good for me. I need to exercise those "No" muscles a little more...

I also REALLY want to organize our house, rearrange my room, clean up, clean out, and plan a trip to Michigan.

Till then, I have to make it through this week, be in a wedding this weekend (which is actually going to be a lot of fun. I'm kind of excited right now), begin training at one new job, and help my best friend move away to begin the rest of his life.

Never a dull moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment